Thursday, January 12, 2006

 

Page 3

The man chuckled. “Young master Re’nan, whose name is still empty, I give you my word that I am not of the Tahh-Ho. Who was the last Re’nan to understand the way and to change the understanding of the way?”

Empty Name sat down and thought for a minute or two before answering, “I don’t remember.”

“I imagine it has been a very long time.”

“I don’t know,” he replied thoughtlessly as he lay on his back and look up into one of the very few feathered and transparent clouds.

The two of them sat there, the day slowly passing away, an hour perhaps passed before the man sought to ask more of the boy.

“You seem quite patient for one so young, and with a name that is empty, or are you just tired?”

“No, not tired.”

“In that case, you seem to be thinking very deeply, what are you meditating on?”

“I’m trying to think where you could have come from.”

“A very long way away, a very long time ago.”

“Where are you going?”

“Where the wind wills me, as your Re’nan might say.”

“Is there adventure?”

“There is no knowing, it depends on your point of view. For one so inquisitive, it is a wonder you have not had it inscribed on your name.”

“Where is your tribe?”

“Where is yours?”

“I’ll tell if you will.”

The man smiled again, probably the most he’d done so in over a year, how odd fate was that it should put such a pair in each other’s company for an evening.

“You learn your lesson well. Would your tribe permit me to add to your empty name?”

The boy kicked his feet and looked thoughtful.

“Certainly few are as inquisitive and as sharp minded as you. I happen to have some ink with which I could do so formally.”

“No… It’s is my right as a man to have my tribe do it.”

“Well, how about I informally call you Learner?”

“It’s okay… I suppose.”

“My tribe faded away a very long time ago.” A touch of deep melancholy touched his voice as he answered the boy’s question. “And so where are the famous Re’nan?”

“That way,” the boy pointed to a place outside of the ruins and beyond view.

“Far?”

“I walked all morning.”

The man looks off toward the sun as it approached the horizon, the sky beginning to bleed orange and gold from the tan sandy horizon. Looking up his eyes saw the first of the darkening hues of the sky, the deeper blues and the beginning twinkles of stars starting to show through overhead.

“Bit of a far walk. I don’t imagine you’ll get there before nightfall, in fact, it would seem it’s already on us.”

“Nope, I don’t think so either.”


<- Page 2 Page 4 ->

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?